We’re Hiring an Associate
Information Venture Partners is an entrepreneur-friendly venture capital firm based in downtown Toronto and New York City. We invest exclusively in FinTech and Enterprise SaaS companies in Canada and the U.S. Many companies in our portfolio are quickly becoming category leaders, including Adaptive Insights ($1.6B acquisition by Workday), Verafin ($515M recapitalization; the largest venture financing in Canadian history), Flybits (innovative digital experience creation platform for FIs), LendingFront (digital SMB lending platform, led by founding/early team at OnDeck) among numerous others. We focus on the early stage (mostly Series A) and are considered Canada’s leader in B2B FinTech, having delivered top tier returns for our investors. Our goal is to continue to build a world-class venture capital franchise and are currently looking for an Associate to join our investment team in Toronto.
The Associate will work to support our Partners and Principal in identifying and evaluating high potential investment prospects, as well as executing on new investment opportunities in technology startups in our areas of focus. The role will include supporting existing portfolio investments as needed, as well as perform company and industry research and a variety of ad-hoc projects and tasks as they arise.
• Participate in due diligence of investment opportunities by conducting research and analysis on markets, financial forecasts, management, competition, etc.
• Create sophisticated financial models to run i) scenario analysis on management forecasts for prospective investments by the Fund, ii) assess potential acquisitions/combinations for portfolio companies, iii) estimate expected returns on potential investments for the Fund and iv) assist in quarterly valuation of portfolio investments
• Communicate findings and conclusions to other members of the investment team via written and verbal reports
• Draft investment memos for review of Partners and Principal
• Support portfolio companies on various initiatives including strategic imperatives, industry research, budgeting processes, operational metrics and board materials
• Assists Partners and Principal with quarterly reporting to LPs and other stakeholders
• Aid in developing strong and wide networks within the VC community, accelerators, universities and research centers in North America
• Be an active participant in the technology start-up and venture capital ecosystem and positively represent the firm by attending relevant networking events and conferences
• Some North American travel will be required
• Other duties as required
Experience and Skills
• Meaningful work experience (usually totaling between 4 to 6 years) relevant to evaluating early stage FinTech and enterprise SaaS businesses, such as a strategic and analytical role exhibiting leadership capabilities at a FinTech, SaaS company or financial services organization, as a founder or executive at a technology company, or general experience evaluating companies and conducting financial analysis – ideally gained from a reputable venture capital firm, in investment banking, buy-side investment firm, or in management consulting
• Bachelor degree at a minimum – bonus points for a degree in computer science or engineering
• Strong financial modeling and business acumen, including knowledge of enterprise SaaS and FinTech business models and a broad understanding of how financial services organizations operate
• A self-starter, with a demonstrated ability to work independently, manage multiple tasks and projects, ability to “manage up” projects and deals up to the other Partners and Principal, balance competing priorities with teams in different geographies and thrive in a high-performance team environment
• A high level of maturity and a demonstrated ability to connect and build relationships with senior executives and founders
• Entrepreneurial attitude and ownership mentality (no task is too small) with strong judgment, attention to detail and an analytical mind
• A track record of quickly learning, researching and dissecting new or existing technology markets and business models, with an ability to form and convey a defensible opinion succinctly
• An innate curiosity and unrelenting passion for technology and start-ups (ideally in enterprise software and/or FinTech), demonstrated through your work experience, hobbies or other pursuits
• Exceptional communication and presentation skills (both written and oral) along with strong interpersonal and team-based competencies
• Highly proficient with Excel, Word, PowerPoint and other productivity applications
• Familiarity with venture finance deal terms, cap table models and other key venture calculations are an asset
• Infectious enthusiasm, hustle and a readiness to grow in the venture capital industry at an accelerated pace
• Humility, sense of humour and an ability not to take yourself very seriously, but to take what you do very seriously
• Must have authorization to work in Canada
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to (email@example.com) quoting A2020. In your cover letter, please provide a brief response, no longer than two paragraphs, to the following question: Tell us about a B2B FinTech or enterprise SaaS company you have a strong opinion about (positive or negative) and tell us why. Would you invest or not? For what reasons?
Candidates from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those to be interviewed will be contacted. For more information about Information Venture Partners, please visit our website at https://www.informationvp.com/.
Information Venture Partners respects the dignity and independence of people with disabilities and is committed to providing accommodation and support to persons with disabilities throughout any recruitment process, once made aware of a need for accommodation. If you require any special accommodation or support during the recruitment process, please indicate this in your email to us.